Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Other Side of the Anniversary

In addition to having a wonderful evening hanging out with the hubby celebrating our anniversary, I also had a doctor's appointment yesterday morning. It was a little interesting. Cameron was not able to go with me because of work, so my Mom went with me. I worked for a couple of hours in the morning and then had my appointment and went back to work that afternoon. They started by checking my blood pressure. It was 144/88...it usually runs at a normal 120/80 or less, which is what it was even last week. So, he was a little concerned because that was unusually high for me. Then, when he went to find Reese's heartbeat, he had a hard time finding it (I was not worried because I had been feeling him move). When he found it, the position was abnormally high in my abdomen. Dr. Paul said he thought he might be breech. Oh, really?! After the internal exam, he confirmed that Reese is indeed head down. So, I guess he has a really long torso?! I'm still not clear on how he's positioned. Because of the BP and the concern about his size, the doctor wanted me to have another ultrasound. Needless to say Cameron was a little T.O.ed he wasn't there for it. Reese weighs in at a whopping 7lb1oz, with theoretically 3.5 weeks to grow. I know it's not a very accurate measurement and can be off by a pound or more, but with his paternal genes, I'm not counting on him being much less than that right now. The ultrasound tech said everything looked good. I have "generous" fluid, so that's good. According to the measurements from the ultrasound I am a week ahead, putting my due date at 9/12. However, my date did not officially get changed. I had some blood work done after the ultrasound and got my jug for a 24-hour urine collection to check for protein and creatine in my urine. Dr. Paul said he wanted to see me back Monday, so we're heading back then. One of the most shocking things about the appointment was that I was only there for 1:15 minutes. My appointment was at 11, I got called back just before 11:30 and Mom and I were on the elevator by 12:15. Considering the unexpected additions to the appointment, I was very surprised we weren't there longer. I think at this point, everything looks good, but there is concern about my BP. I've been taking it off and on today and it hasn't been lower than 135/88, but I had kind of a stressful day. Cameron, my Mom and my Mother-in-Law are all telling me I need to quit working. I'm not trying to be a martyr, but I only have one more full day tomorrow and then half days next week, so I am cutting back. Most people say they don't think I'm gonna make it till the 20th...I'm kinda thinking they might be right. Hopefully we'll have a better handle on things after my appointment Monday. I'll keep y'all posted!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katie!

    If you turn out to have preeclampsia please let me know. I can answer any questions that you have about it. It can be really scary, but luckily you are late enough in your pregnancy that it won't be a problem at all. I will be thinking of you!

    Julia

    ReplyDelete