Monday, August 3, 2009

I'm Sorry...Did My Doctor Just Laugh at Me?

33 Weeks!! Whoo-hoo!! Seriously, don't know how I'm going to last 7 more weeks, but I very well might. I had a doctor's appointment today that was slightly entertaining. Let me preface this by saying my doctor has a very dry sense of humor and is very quiet and not real chatty. As I have mentioned before Dr. Paul has commented that my uterus is measuring ahead (meaning big baby, not early baby). So today, I asked him what I was measuring and he laughed and said 35 (cm) and continued laughing. He then (while still laughing) said "...big baby!" Gee thanks, Dr. Paul. So I just laughed and said "Yeah, let's talk about that for a minute." BTW, my uterus has grown 3 cm in two weeks, verses 1 cm in two weeks which is what it grew last time. That was when he mentioned the "c-word". Basically he said if he determines the baby is getting too big then we'll have to do a c-section. Obviously this is not what I want to happen, but if it is the best interest of me and the baby, then of course I'll be okay with it. He said that there is no really good way to predict the size of the baby. Ultrasound is the best way to predict and even that's not very good or accurate. He did say that he has done c-sections in the past where the baby was supposedly really large and ended up being a pound or more smaller. He also made sure to tell me to think about size not being equal to maturity so just because he bigger than normal doesn't mean he's ahead in development. I definitely want Reese to stay in a cook as long as possible! So, I did ask him about maybe just being off on my due date. He said that as inaccurate as ultrasound is at predicting the size of the baby late in pregnancy, it is pretty much spot on in the beginning, usually off by only a couple of days when determining the due date. So there goes my theory of delivering early cuz the due date was wrong. I need to just get that though out of my head. It is what it is and I just need to be prepared for both scenarios.
I am still feeling pretty good most of the time. I am really starting to get uncomfortable in my hips and with the whole breathing thing. It really does make me realize how much I take breathing deeply for granted. If I sit in one position or lay on one side for too long my hips reallyh start to hurt and feel stiff. I am getting up average 3 times a night to pee. Usually about every 2 hours. On nights I get to sleep longer, it's usually 4 times. The other night I went to bed around 11 and didn't get up until like 4:30 for the first time...I was soooo excited!! Well, things could be worse and I truly do try not to complain because I have had it so easy. Here are the 33 week belly pictures! Enjoy!

Full body view


Close up...look out!!

2 comments:

  1. You look wonderful. Hope you keep feeling good in the days leading up to this big event. And for some added perspective and inspiration, I invite you to check out this video -- ahamoment.com/pg/moments/view/5713 -- about one woman's "aha moment" when motherhood became real and its meaning clear to her. I hope you enjoy it, and again, best of luck.

    jack@ahamoment.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so much fun isn't it? Don't worry I delivered an 8 lb 13.5 oz baby. You can do it :)

    ReplyDelete