Monday, January 25, 2010

When the Cat's Away...

The Mommy and Baby will play! If only that were true. We have been having a rough time in the Garvin household. As I have previously said, Reese is struggling with his daytime sleeping. He is being very fussy prior to going down and only sleeps for 30-45 minutes. He is still, however, sleeping well at night so I guess I should count my blessings. Last night we didn't hear a peep from him! So this weekend was a bit of a challenge. And when I say challenge, I mean I have a new respect for single mothers and mothers with two small children.



Let me elaborate...



This weekend Cameron, Reese, and I packed up (OMG...I never thought we'd need so much crap for two nights away from home) and headed up to Gainesville. Cameron and his buddies, aka groomsman, aka the four stooges, went on a hunting weekend in north GA. They were celebrating one of 'em's safe return from Iraq (thanks for protecting our freedom, Captain Pig!). So, I went with him as far as Gainesville to hang out with one of the wives and kids. Ellison and her son Ethan were my hosts for the weekend. I was a little nervous about going because I was unsure as to how Reese would do. And I was right to be nervous. Little Man was not a fan of not being at home. He was completely thrown by not being in his house and comfort zone. There were many times he cried inconsolably for upwards of an hour, which was not good for Mommy's heart or nerves. I am so used to tag-teaming with Cameron that it was very hard to not have his help. Thus my newfound respect for single moms. I have never been a huge fan of co-sleeping just because I feel like I would smother him, but let me tell you...we did it several times this weekend! For my sanity and the sanity of all those involved it was just easier for him to sleep nestled in my arms, than to scream through his nap! I'm certainly not going to make it a habit, but if it means he'll sleep, then I'm all for it!



Going into this weekend I knew I was possibly going be babysitting a two year old in addition to having Reese with me. Ellison is a nurse and she was on call this weekend. In order for her hubby to participate in Boy's Weekend, I went to hang with her so I could keep Ethan if she were to be called into the hospital (which was very unlikely)....otherwise, Jason would have to stay home. How could I refuse?!?! She did end up getting called in and it was totally fine. Ethan is a super sweet little boy and very well behaved. He has a ton of energy, but was very obedient and comfortable with me. He also really loved Reese. Reese on the other hand was a different story. He was so high maintanence that it was hard for me to give Ethan my attention. Hence my newfound respect for mothers with two small children (Faris, Kathryn...that would be you!). Overall it was a good weekend. It may have been hard to be away from home and not have Cameron around to help me with baby duty, but it was bound to happened sooner or later and I don't want Reese to be the kind of child that can't be away from home. But we are recovering and he's been much happier since we've been home. I forgot my camera so I don't have any pics, but he'll be four months old on Thursday, so they'll be plenty of pics then!

4 comments:

  1. I wish I had known!! Flowery Branch is right down the road......in fact, we go to church in Gainesville. Let me know if you come back this way. I would love to see you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry he wasn't a good traveler this weekend. Maybe next time he'll be better, since he'll hopefully be spending some time at Oeb's house while you're working!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HELLO!?!?!? You came all the way up to Gainesville and didn't call me?!? I haven't even SEEN Reese yet!!

    Gah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diana...I've thought about you being close Gainesville before because my friend there has a son that is around Mason's age!

    Meaghan...I totally thought about calling you Friday because I had a few hours to kill before Ellison got home from work. But I wasn't sure if you were working. I'll be sure to let both of y'all know next time we venture that way!

    ReplyDelete