Monday, January 25, 2010

A Very Difficult Decision

I have made the difficult decision to start weaning Reese. Over the past three weeks I have tried to pump as much as I can at work in order to keep up with his demand, but it has proven to be too difficult. I am just not producing what I need to in order to keep him satisfied. And I am out of frozen milk. So, this weekend, I started supplementing him with formula. I am still going to nurse him as I am able, but he's going to have to have formula throughout the day in order to get what he needs. One downside is that now he is getting more used to the bottle, so when he's really hungry he gets really frustrated when he tries to nurse because it just won't come out fast enough. Once thing that I have noticed in the past day or two is that his diapers are much more wet, so I feel completely okay with my decision. While I am sad to not be exclusively breast feeding him anymore, I know that it is for the best. I feel like if I didn't have to work it would be easier to continue only nursing him, but I have done the best I can and have given him almost four months of only breast milk. After all my bouts with mastitis, I never thought I'd make it this far, so I'm proud of what I've accomplished. I am very fortunate that Reese is not phased at all by the bottle or by formula. He has not missed a beat and for that I am grateful!

4 comments:

  1. You've done an awesome job. You are such a trooper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rock on for making it 4 exclusive months of breastfeeding!! I remember when I had to start supplementing Ava with formula- very sad, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Luckily she still nursed in the morning and evening...that made me feel better. :) Good luck with the continued breastfeeding....

    You've done awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only you can know what is best for you and Reese - you cannot judge yourself by what others may say, what they do, or what they want you to do. You are doing an incredible job! Most people would not have stuck it out and breastfed through the mastitis like you did. Reese is lucky to have you as his Mommy. Love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't beat yourself up! 4 months is wonderful! Reese will be just fine! I stopped around 5 months with EF and never looked back. You do what you can, right?

    ReplyDelete