Friday, October 16, 2009

Perfect Baby


Medically speaking, anyway! Just kidding! We have truly been blessed with a healthy, perfect baby. We had his "2 week" well baby check up yesterday and things are great. Reese's pediatrician said he was perfect...heart, lungs, and hips all look good. He is very strong, too. And he's a little chunk! He weighed 7lbs 11ozs at his visit two weeks ago and yesterday he weighed 8lbs 15ozs! He's filling out! His little cheeks are getting so plump. We have to go back when he's 2 months old when he'll have to get his first round of shots. Big news! Reese's umbilical stump fell off the other night. Cameron was holding him and my mom took him to go change his diaper and she noticed it had fallen off. We didn't find it anywhere, so I'm pretty sure Ella probably ate it. She's gross like that!


We are having a bit of a spit up issue. Reese spits up during, right after, and like 20-30 minutes after just about every meal. He does not seem to be in any pain so the doctor does not think it's reflux, so that's good. Another issue we're having is that he's been a bit of a fuss bucket lately, mostly in the evening and at night. We have decided that we are getting into a really bad habit of holding him too much, especially when he sleeps. I know that sounds harsh, but he refuses to sleep in his basket when we put him down for bed. We change his diaper and nurse, which is when he usually falls asleep, so I swaddle him up really tight (we got a Miracle Blanket yesterday!) and lay him in his basket. He's fine for a minute and then starts screaming. As soon as you pick him up, he's fine. I did not get in the bed until 2 am last night because I slept (with one eye open) in the recliner holding him in my lap. He was fine as long as I was holding him. So, Cameron and I have decided that we need to get more on a schedule and routine and quit holding him so much. It'll be hard because we want to hold him all the time, but we're just not doing any of us any favors by doing that. I'm trying to do Babywise, but I need to step it up a little bit and try to implement it more. We are also going to try and get Reese to nap and sleep in his basket in his crib to get him used to the nursery and try to teach him to self-soothe. I know he's still so little, but obviously what we're doing is not working because it's like this every night. So, if you have any pointers, please share and keep your fingers crossed that we can work this out sooner rather than later!


We are being very slack with the picture taking lately, but we'll get some more done and I'll post some soon. The picture at the top was taken on my cell phone, so that's why the quality is iffy. But it's just so dang cute!

2 comments:

  1. good to see an update. what a cutie!!

    sorry about the sleeping issues! you should look at "Healthy sleep habits, happy child". it's a little different than baby wise...not so much about the clock- more about his schedule. more natural i think. give it a try. dr. weissbluth (the author) is super supportive of nurshing moms too! always a plus!!

    can't wait for more pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain sweetie! If it makes you feel any better I promise it does get better. We had the exact same issues with Perron at first and he is now sleeping 8-9 hours straight. A lot of it is just age and a maturity thing. My one piece of advice is start a bedtime routine early and stick to it. Since Perron was about 5 weeks old, every night we give him a bath (at 7:30), feed him, wrap him in his Miracle Blanket, and rock/hold him. We do it in that exact order and within a 15-30 minute window of the 7:30 start time every night. It is amazing, but even at that young of an age they understand routines. This is the only part of my day that is "scheduled", but it has really worked.

    Hang in there! I know how tough it is. There were many night that I slept holding him on the couch. It will get better. I promise!

    ReplyDelete